Crochet Basics: Learning by Doing
As a beginner learning any new skill, there are questions. More questions than answers, some may say. Thousands of people participate in crocheting as a hobby and as a source of income. In recent years, crocheting has appeared on high-fashion runways and is making a bold comeback as a decorative feature in many casual wear garments.
While it may be somewhat daunting to figure out those first few steps in crochet, there is good news ahead. I’m here to help you with your questions while you are learning. Crochet can be a tricky business at times. For example, with almost 50 years of crochet experience, I spent an afternoon learning a new stitch technique just this week. It was exciting to take my garment in a new direction while I was mastering a new concept.
The art of crochet is very much a “Learning by Doing” situation. Yes, I was a 4-H’er and the motto is deeply ingrained in my core.
Practice does make perfect, and steady practice will result in some beautiful creations.
Keep your confidence and never give up!
Here are some quick crochet basics tips for a new crocheter.
- Set up a workspace for crocheting. This may be at a table or in a comfortable easy chair. Keep this space free from dirt, dust, and pet hairs if possible. In time, you may choose to crochet with Fido on your lap, but in the beginning, you will need a space for focus on learning the new skills.
- Take breaks when needed. Stretch your back and shoulders, and your fingers. Be conscious of your internal tensions.
- Use a variety of resources. If you are struggling with a pattern, take a look at the stitches in another pattern book. Are you a visual learner? YouTube has an abundance of stitch lessons and even some project lessons!
- Play with different brands of yarn and different brands of hooks. Experiment and find the tools and techniques that work for you.
- Don’t give up! Take breaks from your work as needed. You may even take a break from a challenging project and start an easier project to keep developing your technique and skills. Circle back to the more difficult project regularly and step by step you will see progress. I promise!
Practice, Practice, Practice!
Steady efforts will pay off quickly with crochet. Your skills will multiply with each crochet session and soon you will be creating beautiful crochet masterpieces. Share your success in our Crochet Getaway Facebook group. Let’s cheer each other on!
Interested in learning more? Check these out…
Find FREE patterns and reference sheets in the Crochet Getaway Resource Library